April showers bring May…Physio’s?
May is National Physiotherapy month so we are highlighting some of Hawkstone PT’s best tips for recovery and healthy living!
1. Get up and moving every 30 minutes. When the last thing you want to do is move, it can often be the best medicine. Increasing blood flow will make your muscles more pliable and warm up your sore joints!
2. Complete a dynamic warm up that focuses on activating the muscle groups you’re going to be using. Warming up helps prepare your body for aerobic activity and gradually revs up your cardiovascular system by raising your body temperature and increasing blood flow to your muscles. Warming up may also help reduce muscle soreness and lessen your risk of injury.
3. Rest and recovery days are vital for letting the body heal and regenerate. Did you know that our bodies do the best healing while we sleep and rest? Ensuring you are taking some planned rest days key to any successful training plan.
4. Strengthen that Gluteus Medius! This influential little guy can have a serious impact on knee, hip AND back injuries. https://www.hawkstonept.com/exercise-of-the-month/clamshells-the-best-exercise-youre-probably-doing-wrong
5. Early identification and treatment of injuries. This is SO important! If something doesn’t feel right it probably isn’t, Physiotherapists are musculoskeletal experts, the faster you start treatment (with the exception of waiting until a fracture or surgical site has healed) the faster we can get you back to your sport or regular activites!